Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What's With The Name?

People ask me how I came up with the name Hottnikz. It's my on-line name, and have been posting comments under this name for years. They often ask am I really "hot" as far as looks goes. The name may sound like I think I'm the shit, but the reason I chose the name has nothing to do with vanity at all. It's actually a handle I stole from Method Man of the Wu-Tang Clan. Since my name is Nik, and Meth was one of my former play husbands, I thought the name was more befitting of me. It sounds better on a female anyway. I'll admit the name does grab attention, which is the point. Besides, the man has so many names he calls himself, I figured he could share one of them with his boo! Check him and Wu-Tang in the Flintstone inspired "Gravel Pit".





Yes music inspires people. It inspired my on-line personality, Hottnikz. With that being said, I bothers me to see people take things too far. Naming your child is serious business, not a game or something to do to get back at your ex. Don't be so selfish when naming your child, think about the years of ridicule that your child may have to deal with. Or think name profiling when it comes time for a job. There is a big difference between a ethnic name and something just plain ridiculous. Just peep the video below.




Namraun? Of all people, you name your son after Cam'ron! Funny shit! I feel sorry for the father and son.

I'm sure we all know some people who have jacked up names for their kids. Hell, my own name would have been jacked up had it not been for auntie bringing my mother her glasses. My mother cannot see without her glasses, and was looking in a name book for a name for yours truly and was looking under the boy names to name her first born girl. Thanks Auntie Neicey, for looking out for the cookout! Real talk, for a minute there my name was Nigel. I know my mom would never do that on purpose, but some people do. For example, I know someone who named her daughter Romeo. *blank stare* If you know some crazy names, please share them in the comments.

8 comments:

JustMeWriting said...

GIRL, GIRL, GIRL... this is NO joke to me...lol. I got into a debate with another blogger over a statement made about these names; I refered to the person with the jacked up name as a "product of poor parental judgement." for the VERY reasons mentioned here. Our parents have the foresight of knowing what challenges their child will face and ESPECIALLY for black people, so WHY cripple them even more with these STUPID names.

The Humanity Critic said...

lol.. That last clip made a brother cringe.

hottnikz said...

@ justme

I think you were being nice by calling them a "product of poor parental judgment", lol. That is true, black people have enough challenges and don't need to add to them.

coloredgirlswhohaveconsidered said...

Because of the hormones that come with pregnancy, a law that would allow a parent to change a child's name for free up to the child's 1st B-day,would end this dilemma. My mother cried for nine months when I told her I chose the name 'Maximilian' for her 1st grandson. All those tears finally wore me down. Thank God for mothers, who ain't too proud to beg, plead and cry.

hottnikz said...

Wow, Maximilian. Did you ever tell him this story? He should be thanking you and God everyday for changing that name! It sounds like a prominent name, like maybe somebody with a humongous trust fund, but only if your last name is something like Worthington. If it's Jenkins, then you can forget it, lol.

CapCity said...

i actually knew a maximillian in the hood - we all called him max & had mad respect for him he was a really sweet brother with AMAZING swimming & diving skills.
but back to this daYUM NamRon cuz she likes CamRon (notice she corrected the judge..not Cameron...? LOL!) Lawd Ha' Muhrcy!! the chick didn't look like she was wrapped too tight anyway. least she didn't name the child Redrum. LOL!

i caYn't believe this is my first time to your spot Hottnikz - feel like i've known u fo'evah ...i guess thru commentary on other's blogs;-). Great intro!

hottnikz said...

Hey Cap, thanks for coming. I'm glad you came to check me out.

cbattle said...

Maximillian - The boy's name Maximilian \max(i)-mi-lian\ is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "greatest". The name of three Roman emperors and various saints. The name is popular in Germany. Actor Maximilian Schell.

but namraun?!?! that don't mean NOTHING!!!!